Cross Lutheran Church
Church Council Meeting Minutes
The Holy Cross Church Council meets monthly, usually on the first Tuesday of the month at 7:00 pm.
The meeting is open to all members of Holy Cross. The minutes are published after they have been approved at the following month's meeting.
Holy Cross Lutheran Church
This meeting was called to order at 6:35 p.m. by President, Marla Davenport.
Council members in attendance: Pam Klingsporn, Linda Molitor, Marla Davenport, Tom Nun, Charlene Nun, Debby Dellis, Sheila Morrow, Jammie Klingsporn, Cindy Lindsay, Pastor Anne & Kristin Duffy.
Sue Megrund presented information to the council on what the CYF (Children, Youth and Family) Focus Group has been working on. She asked the council members what we would think if we were a stranger and just coming in to our church – discussion followed. She then proceeded to ask several more questions pertaining to our church, our youth programs, etc. She will be working with the group to finalize and bring closure to her covenant with us through InterServe Ministries.
Marla solicited for additional agenda items. None were added.
The minutes from the June council meeting were reviewed. There was a correction of the word “on” to “one” on page 2. Also, Marla made copies of the photos that were taken from the planning session to be put with the last month’s minutes. Linda motioned to approve the minutes with the corrections. Char seconded the motion. Motion passed.
Cindy presented the findings from the survey (18 responses) that was given to the congregation on how people would prefer to give and what options people would like to see as far as giving – i.e., giving by check, electronic giving, credit/debit card giving options, giving weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly. Discussion followed.
Pastor’s Report - Pastor Anne shared:
• The change of worship time has been well received. Our attendance is at a similar level from the beginning of the interim in April 2013 and giving remains steady at current levels;
Agape Discussion: It was decided to move this discussion to August.
New Business Items:
Service Schedule for Fall: Kristin shared they have been discussing times, service formats, etc. for the upcoming fall. Discussion followed by all council members. Talk of traditional and contemporary music. There is a book called “Promise and Peril” that we suggested for the worship and music committee to read. We also asked Kristin to have the committee think about the “change threshold” during an interim time.
Break for refreshments and Food for Thought.
Financial Reports – Char & Debby:
Jammie motioned to approve the financial reports as submitted. Tom seconded the motion. Motion passed.
Property – Tom shared:
• Tom highlighted on several of the items that needed attention over the past month – (he worked a total of 19 hours in June mowing the lawn and making repairs)
• Riding lawn mower was repaired,
• Refitted the light pole by the office doors
• Large lighted exterior sign was repaired,
• Checked out kitchen exhaust fan,
• Changed oil in snow blower and treated gas,
• Had parking lot swept by Bateman’s,
• Replaced damaged ceiling tiles and light lens in hallway,
• Solicited for a bid for mowing and edging church grounds,
• Patched woodpecker holes in wood siding of church exterior and;
• He recommended that council needs to discuss the fire alarm issues and possible change of monitoring/services companies.
Serving God’s People – Linda shared:
• The next Loaves and Fishes is scheduled for August 5th;
• We will be collecting school supplies again this year for Oakdale Elementary. House of Prayer and Guardian Angels churches will participate in the drive as well. We will kick off the collection at VBS on July 14th and collect supplies until August 14th with sorting to be done on August 17th;
• Tanzania: The Synod as appointed Rev. Gary Langness for the year to oversee the Bega Kwa Bega process with plans on hiring a director around the end of the year. There will be an upcoming Fall Festival for the synod at Christ the King in New Brighton on November 9th and;
• The Agape Team is scheduled to meet late July to start planning a presentation to the congregation of the report during worship with an accompanying short handout. Final report should be available for council in August.
Welcoming Ministry – Jammie shared:
• Not too much to report – just that they need to start thinking about Rally Day – this should/will be a multi team project. It was noted that the ELCA 25th Anniversary is September 9, 2013. This is the tentative date set for Rally Day as of right now.
Worship & Music Ministry – Kristin shared:
• The committee is not meeting this summer and;
• They will be looking at going back to having bulletins during the service on Sundays.
Jammie shared devotions.
Debby motioned to adjourn at 9:05 p.m. Pam seconded the motion. Motion passed.
We closed with the Lord’s Prayer.